History of FBC Troy

First Baptist Church of Troy, NC, as we know it today, has had a long, God-blessed ministry.  On the third Sunday in June, 1885, four Baptist ministers met at the county courthouse in Troy to organize a Baptist church. Twenty people brought letters of membership from other Baptist churches and became charter members. The new church declared the Bible as its rule of faith, adopted a church covenant, elected deacons, listened to a reading from the Bible and sang a hymn. In July, 1885, the church called as pastor Rev. T. Harrison, one of the four ministers from the founding meeting.  Ironically, two of the other ministers in the meeting also served as pastors over the next years.  At that time our newly constituted church was called Troy Missionary Baptist Church (It is unclear when the name was changed to First Baptist Church.) and met in the Methodist Church’s building.

On August 28, 1886, the first service was held in a one-room frame building (1st church) constructed on the corner of East Spring and South Pearl Streets.

By 1911 the Church had outgrown the building and a motion was passed to construct a larger building (2nd church). The congregation bought some acreage at the southeast corner of Liberty and Chestnut Streets and were able to build a larger, brick structure.  The first service at this new church was held on Thanksgiving evening 1914.                                                                                               
On April 14, 1957, ground was broken on the church’s  lot at the northeast corner of E. Main and Lineberry Streets for the church’s third building.  The completed two-story building was dedicated on October 12, 1958. The building included a sanctuary seating more than 500 and a separate chapel seating 120 for smaller gatherings. There are classrooms for Sunday school, a nursery suite, staff offices, a library, a choir room, a kitchen, and a large dining room.

In the years since the new building was placed in service, First Baptist Church has continued to expand its ministries. In 1972, the church completed a two-story brick parsonage followed by construction of a youth building in 1991.  In 2000, First Baptist Church purchased a building to serve its After School Program, providing christian care for school-age children of working parents.

Additional lots adjacent to the church’s property have been purchased in recent years providing extra parking space, a children’s playground, space for outdoor youth activities, and other possibilities for the future.  An elevator was installed in 2006. During 2013-2014 a remodeling project was funded for renovation to the youth building and the purchase of new windows.